McNeill Baur was founded nearly nine years ago by a group of former big law attorneys who continue to practice high value, strategic patent prosecution and client counseling, but in a smaller firm environment. Our attorneys are nationally recognized leaders in life science patent prosecution and counseling, and the firm has been ranked for patent prosecution for multiple years.
Learn more about joining our team here.
We currently have the following opportunities available:
Patent COUNSEL, ASSOCIATE, or Patent Agent (chemistry or biology)
We have a unique opportunity for a patent attorney or agent specializing in the field of chemistry or biology. We are looking for an attorney or agent with at least 5 years relevant experience in complex patent prosecution and/or patent counseling. Candidates with prior litigation experience are encouraged to apply.
- You love science and ideally have an advanced chemistry degree, preferably a PhD, from a superior institution.
- You have a track record of performing work for innovative life science, biotech, and/or pharmaceutical corporations based in the United States.
- You have strong persuasive writing skills, deep knowledge of best practices in patent prosecution and effectively present work product orally.
- You are admitted to practice before the USPTO.
- You can support partners in multiple locations and work independently.
- We want to hear from you even if you want a part time position or are an on ramp candidate who wants to return to the workforce.
We love what we do! We work with the best and brightest innovative clients at the cutting edge of biotechnology and chemistry. This is a unique opportunity to practice law at a big firm level, while benefiting from the firm's strong commitment to reasonable work hours, family-friendly atmosphere, and respecting employee work-life balance. We are committed to equity and inclusion across race, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, identity, religion, and experience.
- There is no work origination or business development requirement in this position.
- Attorneys and agents design their own work plan, including schedule and billable hour goals, in consultation with partners.
- The firm has never had a central brick-and-mortar location and instead uses advanced cloud-based networking capabilities. This eliminates commuting and allows employees to reside in the city of their choice.
- We offer a comprehensive and generous benefit program, including health insurance, dental insurance, disability insurance, life insurance, an EAP program, a competitive salary, and a 401K plan with generous matching component.
- We provide home office equipment.
- We support professional development by providing training.
Full-time salary is negotiable based on qualifications and experience. We are open to part-time positions, proportionately compensated.
For agents committed to billing 1700 per year salary range: $150,000 – $210,000 per year.
For associates committed to billing 1700 per year salary range: $180,000 – $260,000 per year. For counsel committed to billing 1700 per year salary range: $250,000 – $270,000 per year.
We are committed to equity and inclusion across race, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, identity, religion, and experience.
Please submit resume, cover letter, salary requirements, desired hours per year, and a portfolio listing representative US patents or published applications that you have drafted and/or prosecuted to email@example.com. Those applicants requiring reasonable accommodations to the application and/or interview process should notify the human resources manager.
McNeill Baur PLLC does not accept resumes through search firms or other third parties. We only accept resumes directly from candidates who are interested in joining our firm.
PATENT prosecution coordinator
McNeill Baur PLLC, a certified woman-owned biotech and pharma-focused IP boutique, is looking for a patent prosecution coordinator with at least 5 years of experience.
Successful candidates will be responsible for a wide range of complex and substantive duties. The patent prosecution coordinator will provide patent-related paralegal services on client billable and non-billable matters including, but not limited to:
- managing deadlines in the firm’s docket system,
- preparing and uploading US and PCT filings onto EFS-web,
- assisting with the preparation of information disclosure statements,
- managing foreign and PCT filings,
- drafting reporting letters,
- assisting with electronic file management,
- providing general administrative support to the attorneys of the firm, and
- handling other miscellaneous activities required in a small firm environment.
Candidates will be expected to take responsibility for specific client matters and will be responsible, along with the firm’s attorneys, for reviewing and meeting all deadlines assigned through the careful monitoring of docket deadlines and prioritization of daily tasks.
Required Experience: Five years of experience in an IP law practice providing patent prosecution related tasks; a strong knowledge of US patent prosecution rules; an ability to organize and prioritize numerous tasks and complete them under time constraints; possess excellent interpersonal skills necessary to communicate effectively and professionally; maintain a high-level of attention to detail and organization; and proficiency with EFS-Web, Microsoft software applications, and docketing systems. Preference will be given to candidates with substantial foreign filing experience.
Compensation range: $40-60 per hour
Part-time or full-time position. Salary commensurate with experience. We offer comprehensive and generous benefits, including health insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, disability insurance, life insurance, wellness programs, and an Employee Assistance Program (EAP). The firm also provides a competitive salary, 401(k) plan with generous matching component, four weeks of paid time off earned on a pro rata basis throughout the year, and twelve paid holidays including the employee’s birthday. Eligible employees may elect to make pre-tax contributions to a flexible spending account or a health savings account.
Please submit resume, cover letter, hourly salary expectations, desired schedule (for example, M-F, 9-3 with break for lunch) to firstname.lastname@example.org. We welcome on-ramp candidates who have been out of the workforce.
Those applicants requiring reasonable accommodations to the application and/or interview process should notify the human resources manager.
Candidates may apply to this position from AZ, CA, CO, FL, IL, KY, MD, MA, MI, MN, NJ, NH, NY, NV, NC, OR, PA, RI, TN, UT, VA, WA, WI, and will work from their own home office.